If your website is not attracting visitors, it’s likely your site does not appear at the top of search engine results. That’s a major problem. If your page does not rank on the first page of Google, Bing, or Yahoo search results, no one knows your site exists. That is unless you have encouraged other websites to link to it through other promotional means.
If you want to attract more people to your website, and ensure those people are the right candidates for your target market, below are some immediate actions you should take to improve your situation. We answer the common question: How do I get more people to visit my website? Read on for some great advice on digital marketing tactics.
How do I get more people to visit my website?
1. Build Content. Building a content-rich site is the single most important thing you can do. Search engines send out web robots that crawl web pages looking at content. Keywords in the site content get indexed by the search engines and if the search engine calculates that your website is a good match, the gets listed on the first or second page of search results for that keyword phrase. Search engines use these phrases to pull up sites when a person does a search.
For example, a person searching for a digital marketing agency in Tampa, FL, will type in the phrase “Digital marketing agency Tampa, FL”. If there is content on your site that has this phrase and there is not too much competition, chances are your site will appear in the search results. The search engines also look at similar words and proximity to other words that suggest context.
The word “nesting” next to the word “birds”, suggests the content might be related to wildlife whereas nesting near to the word “trimester” would tell the search engine that the page is about parenthood and pregnancy.
Your chances of being pulled up in a search are very much lower if you don’t have quality content on your site and that it is added to often.
2. Refresh your content regularly. It’s highly important you continue to add new content to your site on a regular basis. Google rewards sites that refresh their content ongoingly. Also, if site visitors can rely on great information that’s updated frequently when they visit your site, it will get them to return.
Don’t set up a content-rich site once and let it sit. You should be writing at least 2-4 articles per month, and more if you can manage it. The more you write the more success you’ll achieve. If you don’t have time to do it yourself, hire an agency or professional copywriter to do it for you.
3. SEO or Search Engine Optimization If you are not SEOing your site, you are missing out on an opportunity to attract ridiculous amounts of business. And the leads you generate from SEO are warm leads. So, when you put your efforts into SEO, you don’t have to prospect or cold call. It’s much easier to grow your business. People will be calling you.
At CWD, 70% of our business comes through SEO. We get calls on a regular basis from people in our target markets.
You can hire a professional to do SEO for you, or if you have the time to dedicate to learning the process, you can do it yourself.
4. Social media. Learn how to use social media effectively to find an audience and share your content. There are rules to social media and if you know how to them you can use it to your advantage.
If you post links to the great content you generate on a regular basis, you’ll bring the people who follow you on social media, to your web site. Give this stuff away for free with no strings attached.
Use social media to post or tweet other people’s stuff. Let them know you’re doing that. They will be inclined to share your stuff with their list. This is an easy way to reach more people. Search engines also pay attention to your web site’s social feeds, so this activity helps SEO.
5. Learn how to write great sales copy. Knowing how to sell through writing is a powerful tool to have. On the web you don’t get a chance to talk to people directly. Your copy speaks for you. If you have incredible copy on a landing page or on a Google Ad, that directs people to your site, people won’t be able to ignore you. They will click your ad links.
Learn how to write sales copy yourself. If you don’t have the time hire an agency or freelance copywriter.